Building Code Administrator- The Town of Burgaw is currently seeking qualified applicants for the position of Building Code Administrator. This position prefers at least 5 years of experience in related construction trades and have a high school diploma or equivalent, supplemental community college courses in construction, plumbing, electrical wiring, and heating and air conditioning. All applicants must also possess NC Inspection certification level III in Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Building. Salary range is $43,676 to $68,318 DOQ. Qualified applicants may pick up applications and a detailed job description at the Town of Burgaw Municipal Building located at 109 N. Walker St, Burgaw NC or download from town website at www.townofburgaw.com. Please return completed applications to Kristin Wells at 109 N. Walker Street, Burgaw, NC 28425 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to submit applications and resumes is January 5, 2018.
JOB DESCRIPTION (BELOW)
CLASS TITLE: BUILDING CODE ADMINISTRATOR
PURPOSE OF CLASS: Under general direction, performs responsible technical and administrative work in the performance of the municipal inspections enforcement programs; performs all technical inspections (as required). Holds level III certification in electrical, plumbing, building and mechanical. Performs supervisory work for code inspection staff and perform inspections for level III buildings. This position is exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Pursuant to the Town’s Organizational Chart, this position reports directly to the Town Manager.
- Perform building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical and fire inspections.
- Issue building permits.
- Review plans for development for conformance with applicable codes and regulations.
- Supervise the acceptance or rejection of plans.
- Conduct field monitoring to check for non-permitted activity on a regular basis.
- Notify responsible parties of defects found and re-inspect to determine whether adequate corrective measures have been made.
- Issue stop orders.
- Serve as contact person for questions regarding construction matters.
- Maintain technical records of inspections and other related matters.
- Work closely with the planner, architects, engineers and builders in review of project and plans.
- Ensure compliance with the North Carolina Building Code and the Town's Minimum Housing Code.
- Oversee compliance of municipal buildings with applicable codes and supervise maintenance of said buildings.
- Be available immediately after emergencies. Must be available immediately following emergencies or natural disasters, as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work involves extensive walking, bending and climbing outdoors in varied weather conditions. Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs. Must possess visual acuity, hearing, touching and the full use of arms, hands and fingers to compile computer data and statistics.
- Hand tools, ladders, vehicle, two-way radio, computer, calculator and other equipment as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent, supplemental community college courses in construction, plumbing, electrical wiring, and heating and air conditioning. Must possess NC Inspection certification level III in Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, and Building.
- Prefer five years of experience in related construction trades.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of modern building construction practices, methods, materials, and equipment for various stages of construction when violations and defects should be observed and corrected.
- Thorough knowledge of approved methods and practices involved in the installation, construction, repair and maintenance of a variety of electrical, plumbing, mechanical and fire equipment.
- Have the knowledge and skills to operate assigned equipment.
- Have the ability to plan and coordinate the overall inspection program.
- Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications accurately and make comparisons with construction in progress.
- Ability to enforce regulations tactfully and firmly. Ability to prepare and maintain records and reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with contractors, the public, property owners, and other officials and employees.
- Must possess a valid North Carolina driver's license. Must possess Level III certificates in building, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical inspections from the North Carolina Building Code Council.
- Must pass a drug test required by the town’s personnel policy, at the town’s expense.
Approved & Adopted by the
Town of Burgaw Board of Commissioners