Lien Agent Information Form
Home Owner Exemption Affidavit
NC General Assembly Session Law 201-158:
In order for an inspections office to issue any permit, the Property Owner or contractor acting on their behalf must Identify a lien agent and provide the inspections office with the information listed below.
- Project cost is less than $30,000
- Project is an improvement to an existing single-family residential dwelling used by the owner as a residence.
- Project for which first furnishing of labor or materials at the site was prior to April 1, 2013.
Information to provide:
- Name of Lien Agent
- Lien Agent Contact Information including:
- Mailing Address
- Physical Address
- Telephone Number
- Fax Number
- Email Address
How to Identify a Lien Agent:
- Visit www.liensnc.com and follow instructions
- Fees for lien agent
- $25.00 for residential project
- $50.00 for commercial project
- Paid directly to the Lien Agent
Purpose: To resolve the hidden lien issues associated with construction projects.
NC General Statute 160A-417
"No permit shall be issued pursuant to subdivision (1) of subsection (a) of this section where the cost of the work is thirty thousand dollars ($30,000) or more, other than for improvements to an existing single-family residential dwelling unit as define in G.S. 87-15.5(7) that the applicant uses as a residence, unless the name, physical and mailing address, telephone number, facsimile number, and electronic mail address of the lien agent designated by the owner pursuant to G.S. 44A-11.1(a) is conspicuously set forth in the permit or in an attachment thereto. The building permit may contain the lien agent's electronic mail address. The lien agent information for each permit issued pursuant to this subsection shall be maintained by the inspection department in the same manner and in the same location in which it maintains its record of building permits issued."